Lawrence County Association for Responsible Care (LCARC), formerly P.A.R.C., began as a grassroots group of parents who had children with physical and/or intellectual disabilities. The parents met monthly to discuss concerns and to promote education and services for their children. In 1954, the state of Pennsylvania advocated for public schools to provide education for children with mental disabilities. Locally, a self-contained classroom was established at Lincoln-Garfield elementary school with parents providing the transportation. The original group of parents continued to meet and developed pilot projects to provide other services for their children. In the late 1950’s a vocational training center was established and shortly after, that group split away from P.A.R.C. to become their own organization.